BUT, all that to say, I need an outlet! We had an assignment to present a 5-minute teaching or message to the group today...and I was only able to get out about 25% of what was in my heart to say! The only instruction beyond the time limit was that it should be something we are passionate about. So, since I am SO passionate about the Light (Jesus) and since I SO passionately hate the dark (evil), I am compelled to slap this message on ya. Here you go.
15,000 Ways to Inject Light into Darkness
It is much easier than you think to bring Light into the darkness. Sometimes we assume that we would have to travel to the wilds of Africa in order to truly light the darkness....but it's just not so. I have come up with 15,000 - or maybe slightly fewer - ways that anyone can inject Light wherever you are.
- Be nice. Just be NICE, people.
- Ask people about themselves.
- Be a “welcomer.”
- Pay for the person’s order behind you in the drive-through.
- Randomly show up to a friend’s house with flowers.
- Say “I love you” a lot.
- Listen to hear what is in a person’s heart, not just what is in their head.
- Say “yes” more than you say “no.”
- Be quick to forgive.
- Mow your neighbor’s yard…just because.
- Look people in the eyes and see into their world.
- Wear Mickey Mouse ears.
- Laugh uncontrollably and develop a guffaw.
- Take your smile to the hospital and spread it around.
- Laugh at your mistakes.
- Embrace people – with your arms, your facial expressions AND your words.
- Plug in your neon “open” sign and turn off the “closed” sign.
- Dance – even without any audible music.
- Be the “gum friend” who always has it and is always offering it to everyone.
- Read your situation and choose an appropriate level of response.
- Take ownership of your environment - not the trees, but the space you're in. Be responsible for the well-being of those around you at the moment.
- Be teachable.
- Get over yourself.
- Move forward.
- Be available.
- Sing your little heart out.
- Keep other people’s confidences locked in your vault.
- Infuse the atmosphere with hope.
- Cultivate your sense of humor.
- Hang out with the undesirables.
1, 2, skip a few....
2,025. Bake cookies often.
2,026. Share them.
11,999. Translate the Word of God through your actions.
12,000. Meet people where they are.
12,001. Lower your expectations of others.
12,002. See the treasure in others.
12,002. Speak to the treasure in others. Call them THAT name.
12,436. Filter your words and just let the good stuff come out.
13,122. Find a younger person to invest in.
13,123. Find an older person to invest in.
13,124. Invest in people.
13,275. Cry with people.
14,999. Tell people they are not alone.
15,000. SHOW people they are not alone.
Really, all these things that can inject Light are simply the things that will easily flow out of you when you are led by Holy Spirit. These are examples of using your influence to change the atmosphere around you. They are just practical ways to redirect people with beauty. Spirit-led living is a life of blessing, lifting, caring, sharing, transforming…a life of adventure and joy…a life of messy, laughter-filled FUN!
The things on this list are applicable ways to live out Isaiah 61:
“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn, to console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”
Here's a whole love-bucket (for you, Elizabeth T.) full of Scripture about LIGHT:
Psalm 18:28 “For You will light my lamp; the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.”
Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
Psalm 36:9 “For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light.”
Psalm 37:6 “He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.”
Psalm 44:3 “For they did not gain possession of the land by their own sword, nor did their own arm save them; But it was Your right hand, Your arm and the light of Your countenance, because You favored them.”
Psalm 56:13 “For You have delivered my soul from death. Have You not kept my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?”
Psalm 112:4 “Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious and full of compassion, and righteous.”
John 1:1-4 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him and without Him, nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.”
John 1:6-9 refers to Jesus as the Light – so when you are shining light, you are bringing life, you are bringing Jesus (THE Life, THE Light, THE Word) into the situation. He is the answer. He is the one who transforms. He is the one who dispels the darkness.
So, turn on the Light, my friends! It's not that hard!
Isaiah 60:1-2 “Arise, shine; for your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you. For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the people; But the Lord will arise over you, and His glory will be seen upon you.”