Friday, October 21, 2011

The Spirit of Fear

You know what gets me riled up?  Halloween.  The culmination of darkness, fear and death - and the celebration of those things.  Every year at this time, people I know and love take part in the celebration of Halloween and it irks the living snot out of me.

"Why?  It's just a silly holiday.  There's nothing wrong with it.  We're just having fun", one might retort.  In fact, that is the most common response I hear when I challenge anyone on the subject.

Here's my first point:  If you believe in Jesus and profess to know Him, then you have no business reveling in darkness.  I don't expect all the rest of the atheists, agnostics and non-Christian people to think anything is wrong with Halloween, just people who say they know Jesus.  Jesus is LIGHT.  Jesus is LIFE.  Halloween is darkness.  Halloween is death.  Do you see the incongruity here??!!

Second point:  Fear is a torment from the enemy (Satan, the devil, is your enemy in case you weren't clear on that).  What is the biggest emotion people experience when they take part in Halloween festivities?  Fear.  The Bible even talks about "the spirit of fear", meaning that there is a spiritual force behind the feeling.  Fear is not just some little game for a thrill.  Fear is a spirit.  And it's not a good one.

I have spent so many conversations, prayer times and ministry sessions with people who are TORMENTED by the spirit of fear.  I have battled against the spirit of fear for myself, my children and many others.  Why on earth would you willingly play his game, people?  Satan is a liar.  He wants to lure you into his grasp with "fun and games" that seem innocent enough.  But Halloween has become a culturally acceptable invitation to the forces of spiritual darkness into our homes, thoughts and lives.

I'm sick of it.  I'm sick of seeing a shopping cart of little kids at the grocery store who are crying and begging their mom to go away from the scary masks and bloody costumes.  I'm sick of the Christian culture embracing anything to do with darkness.  I'm just sick of it.

So, here's the thing.  If you celebrate Halloween, I'm not sick of YOU.  I'm ready for you to see the goodness and blessing that God has for you, and that it is so much better than anything "fun" you get out of Halloween.  Our family seems SO counter-culture on this, but we're not backing down.  We are convinced of the awesomeness of our God, and we have decided to let go of everything else that doesn't line up with Him and His ways.

If you're worrying about not having any fun, DON'T!  There are so many wonderful things going on during the fall!  Pumpkin patches, carnivals and lots of fun family things that don't involve the symbols of evil.  You just have to ask the Holy Spirit to transform your thinking.  He can, and He will...when you ask.

I pray that you will have eyes to see and ears to hear what God is communicating to you.  Don't be fooled, friends.

May the light and life of Jesus rest on you and yours this Fall!

2 comments:

  1. You make an excellent point and I have several friends who feel exactly like you do. We do let our kids dress up as movie/tv characters but we do not allow scary costumes and we don't go to haunted houses. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on that course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoy our church's fall festival and let our children dress up in fun costumes, too. Our church's heart behind their fall festival is to encourage family-building and provide a safe, fun place for a big ol' fall party. Are costumes across the board considered engaging in the works of darkness? I don't think so. Is a party with pumpkins and hay bales and games and candy considered engaging in the darkness? Not to me. When an event has been planned to build the family, usher in the presence of the Holy Spirit and draw people to Jesus, I'm there.

    Bottom line, you have to inquire of the Lord what He is saying to YOU for YOUR FAMILY. There are some obvious things about Halloween that are just not okay. But each person should ask the Holy Spirit to show him what is open for him and what is closed. That may look different for each one...but the important thing is to submit yourself to God and let Him show you what steps to take....or not to take. :)

    ReplyDelete